Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What They Always Tell Us

Hey Readers!
Today I have another book review for you. I feel like I haven’t done a “real” one (as in NOT a mini review) in a LONG time. So, without further ado, I present to you my review of “What They Always Tell Us” by Martin Wilson.
I said in my mini reviews that readers who love Alex Sanchez, David Levithan, and Brent Hartinger would love Martin Wilson’s novel. However, what sets Martin’s book apart from those that I’ve read by Alex, David, and Brent is the relationship between Alex, the protagonist, and James, his brother. 
I’ve always been drawn to novels about brothers and sisters, maybe due to the fact that I’m very close to my own brother and sister. However, I assure you that any reader, whether they have siblings or not, will be able to relate to the relationship between Alex and James. Relationships with siblings are often complicated. My brother and sister are my best friends, however, they’re also the ones that frustrate me the most. Look back to my interview with Martin to see what Alex and James’ relationship has in common with Martin’s relationship with his brother. 
“What They Always Tell Us” is essentially a coming of age story about a young gay man. Beautifully written and interwoven with the story of two brothers finding their place in the world, this is must read for everyone. I read it in October, and I can’t wait to read it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment