Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Are You Afraid of the Dark?



Hi Readers!
Are any of you old enough to remember the Nickelodeon show “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” (Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes! I’m really hoping I haven’t reached the age where I can say, “You know, when I was a kid …”) Well, anyway, if any of you do remember that show, then you’ll know what I’m talking about when I say that Vivian Vande Velde has written a collection of short stories that are WAY scarier. 
For those of you who were able to attend our awesome Read-a-Thon, you know that Vivian is a local author (from Rochester!) who made a special guest appearance and signed some autographs. I picked, from her HUGE selection of YA and children’s books, “Being Dead” and had it autographed. Then, the book sat on my shelf for several months because I COMPLETELY forgot I even had it. Boy, do I wish I’d remembered it around Halloween time because it’s the PERFECT Halloween read. 
The first story in “Being Dead” had me so thoroughly creeped out that I slept with a night light. (That’s not an easy confession to make, either. I am sacrificing my reputation to convince you readers to read this book. Don’t let me down!) I hate to give away too many details – I don’t want to spoil any of the stories. You’ll just have to take my word for it when I say read this book (with the lights on …). 
Keep reading! (And comment, comment, comment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment