Sunday, June 6, 2010

What? Carly read another vampire book?

Hello Readers!

Okay so you’re not going to believe it. In my last book review (of “Hex Hall”), I talked about how “Twilight” has made me hate vampires in all forms, but “Hex Hall” made me realize that perhaps I shouldn’t be too quick to judge all fictional vampires. I just finished Beth Fantaskey’s “Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.” In “Jessica’s Guide,” Jessica is a senior in high school in rural Pennsylvania. One day, a mysterious, Eastern European stranger shows up at her farmhouse and informs her that she’s his betrothed – and a vampire princess. That’s right. “Jessica’s Guide” is ALL about vampires. And you know what, readers? I really liked it. 

Jessica is a strong, independent character and that (as you’ve all probably figured out my now) is how I like my female protagonists to be. Especially in romance stories. When Lucius, Jessica’s betrothed, first shows up at her farmhouse, she’s convinced that he’s a raving lunatic. It takes quite a bit of convincing before logical, math-loving Jessica believes Lucius’ tale. 

I’m going to venture to say that fans of “Twilight,” as well as non-fans, will appreciate “Jessica’s Guide.” It’s vampires and romance, but Jessica’s definitely not Bella, and Lucius is not Edward. An added plus? Lucius’ letters to Vasile, his uncle who remains in Romania, about American high school and American customs will make you LOL. (Yes, I did just say that. It was really nerdy, I know.)

So, readers, get yourself a copy of “Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.” I don’t think you’ll regret it!

Are you reading any TBF 2011 books? Let me know which ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment