Monday, September 26, 2011

Carly Hearts Carter


Hello Readers!

I hope you had a relaxing weekend full of reading. I, unfortunately, did not. I was in the newspaper office until 1 a.m. last night (by which I mean this morning) attempting to figure out how to convert an Adobe InDesign file into a PDF so that I could submit our first issue of the newspaper to the printer. I finally figured it out. And had time to write this post. Aren’t you impressed? I’m quite impressed with myself.

HOWEVER, we are not here tonight to sing my praises. Rather, we are here to sing the praises of Brent Crawford and his book “Carter Finally Gets It,” which I love. Really love. Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really love.

Will Carter is a freshman with ADD, a stutter when he talks to girls, and a desperate desire to make his first year of high school as successful as possible. Unfortunately for Carter (but fortunately for the reader), things don’t go exactly as planned.  Carter narrates the ups and downs of his freshman year, from his first date to his first (and second) disastrous encounter with shaving, his first college party to his first (and second) run from the cops, and everything in between. 

“Carter Finally Gets It” is one of the funniest books I have read (ever!), and it’s also such a realistic portrayal of 14-year-old boys everywhere. Any reader, though, will be able to relate to Carter and his struggles to fit in and keep up.  As the sister of a teenage boy, I found “Carter Finally Gets It” to be especially relevant. Readers, pick up a copy of “Carter Finally Gets It.” You’ll gain a newfound respect for how hard it is to grow up from a boy to a man in our modern society, but you’ll also have a heck of a good laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment